Soon to be a household name, Chantal Jax Venter is a former Brakpan resident who is making a name for herself on the comedy scene. The funny woman will be performing in Johannesburg in September, so be sure to catch one of her shows.
• How old are you?
The big 30. The age of no give-a-stuffs.
• Are you married?
Not with my sense of humour, I’m lucky my partner still sticks around.
• Do you have any children or pets?
These questions are making me realise I’m a very lonely person, hahaha.
Unfortunately, I’m allergic to both.
• You are a former Brakpan resident, where do you stay now?
I relocated to Cape Town after graduating from my studies in 2008.
• Do you have any fond memories of Brakpan?
Of course I do!
My fondest memory is going to the roadhouse as a child for toasted burgers and milkshakes.
• How did you discover your passion for comedy?
I took part in a competition and on my debut performance, I placed second out of 26 comedians.
Comedy has been a coping mechanism for me growing up as a “different” child.
The same still applies to being an adult.
• How long have you been doing comedy?
I started my comedic career in July 2015 and I haven’t looked back since.
These past three years have been a whirlwind of opportunities and achievements.
• Do you have a full-time job?
I used to be a service manager for a copier company; you could imagine the amount of material I was able to write from that job.
Six months ago I decided to take the plunge and now comedy is my career.
• What type of comedy do you do?
I would like to think I am versatile with my funnies, but mostly it consists of anecdote comedy (storytelling), witty humour (clever wordplay), observational humour (everyday situations) and the occasional dark humour.
• What qualities do other comedians have that you admire?
I think I am mostly in love with the portrayal of the craft.
I love an animated comedian, as well as a strong rhythm supporting a great delivery.
These two elements can make any story a very funny one.
• Is there any advice you would give to a person starting out in comedy?
Perform, die, rewrite and get back up.
• Where do you hope to go from here and what are your plans for the future?
I am in the progress of writing my first one-woman show, which I am hoping to drop in 2019.
I am hoping to get myself into more radio-related avenues as it has always been a passion of mine as a musician as well.
• What’s a great book you’ve read recently?
Does the YOU magazine count?
• Do you have any hobbies or special interests?
I studied music and photography so I am in love with anything related.
Both can be perceived in different ways, but rarely cause conflict between people.
• What do you feel you have bragging rights to?
The only person I am trying to impress is myself, I have many accolades and I know how hard I had to work to achieve them.
The only thing I want to brag about is knowing I left a crowd in stitches at my show. #Funnyfirst
• Who would play you in the film of your life? Why?
I believe she would do an amazing job of portraying my zero-chill attitude.
Also, I look up to Melissa and use her as an influence often.
• What makes you laugh?
Honestly what makes me really laugh out loud are fail videos.
• Where can people get hold of you?
Follow me on social media:
Facebook: Chantal Jax Justice
* Be sure to tune into the Roger Goode Show on 5FM on September 11 for an interview with Chantal.
You can also watch her live at:
• Goliath and Goliath, September 7.
• The Box, September 9.
• Kitcheners, September 11.
• Parkers Comedy Club, September 13.